Sunday, November 26, 2006

Is a classless society really possible?

Humans are far from equal, and class distinctions are still a predominant feature of society.


Have such classes brought any benefits to society as a whole?

No. Social class systems divide people, resulting in envy, hatred, heartache, and much bloodshed. The one-time white-supremacy mentality in Africa, Australia, and North America brought misery to nonwhites—including the total genocide of the Aboriginals in Van Diemen's Land (now Tasmania). In Europe, classifying the Jews as inferior was a prelude to the Holocaust. The great wealth of the aristocracy and the dissatisfaction among the lower and middle classes were factors that led to the French Revolution of the 18th century and to the Bolshevik Revolution in 20th-century Russia.

Is is possible to create a classless society?
Does power corrupt all those who hold it, however well-meaning they may be?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There could be no such thing as a classless society, regardless of how unfair it may be. I think the only way that everyone could be looked at on the same level is that everyone should be paid the same amount when they work. This will probably never happen because some people argue that there are certain jobs that are harder and easier than others. Example: The Prime Minister being paid the same amount as a Child Care worker; it’s not going to happen.

Anonymous said...

I do not believe it is possible to create a classless society because there will always be prejudice in the world. It does not even have to come from people of power like Hitler and stuff. Half of what creates classes is our own judgement and racism and there is always going to be people like that in the world.

Anonymous said...

Everyday people rank others in level of material possessions and wealth. This means rich people are looked up to and poor people are ignored.

People are judged on skin colour, family background and even interests.

The world is so judgemental that no body can escape being classed or stereotyped. Some classes are higher than others, but it is impossible to take them away as class is what keeps us in order.

Anonymous said...

S Curtis I do NOT agree with you that a classless society, as you would put it, does not exist! for a matter of fact when i get the chance I WILL run for PRIME MINISTER of AUSTRALIA AND when I do become prime minister I WILL make AUSTRALIA a classless society AND that is just HALF of the FIRST PERCENTAGE of how I WILL CHANGE the WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!