Saturday, October 21, 2006

The plight of refugees

Do refugees have rights?
What do you think?

In 2001, Australian Prime Minister John Howard said his government would stick to its policy of locking up asylum seekers in remote outback camps, despite a report which found conditions in them appalling.


The report recommended a 14-week limit on the length of stay and called for low-risk asylum seekers, including women and children, to be released into the community. But Mr Howard said such moves would only increase the burden on Australia. "The worst thing Australia could do is to send a signal to would-be illegal immigrants coming to this country that we are an easy touch," Mr Howard said.

Questions remain on what Australia does with refugees who come to our country, because of political or religious reasons. Others of course are seeking out the 'better life'. However, there is no escaping the drain on Australian resources - perhaps to the detriment of full-time Australian residents ...

An interesting issue with an uncertain future...

12 comments:

Bridget said...

Refugees should have equal rights once they are in Australia. To get into Australia they should stay in existing refugee camps for a period of time while they have their background checked.

Anonymous said...

I think that refugees should be allowed in unless they are in no trouble with the government.

Anonymous said...

I think that we are very tough on refugees already and why listen to these strange coments that the govement says that we are increasing our burden?

Anonymous said...

I think that John Howard is very rude to do this to refugees who would like to come to australia. I think Mr Howard is only thinking of himself when he doesn't let refugees come to Australia.

Anonymous said...

I think they should be allowed in Australia.

Anonymous said...

I think it is unfair that the refugees cannot live in Australia. They should be allowed to make their own choice

Anonymous said...

I think the refugees are very nice people and people should respect them.

Anonymous said...

I think refugees should be welcome to live in Australia. I think this because they are people like us and shouldn’t be treated wrongly. You have to look at it from their view.

Anonymous said...

I think that refugees should be allowed in Australia. They deserve a good future unless they are criminals.

Anonymous said...

I think that refugees should be allowed in Australia. They deserve a good future unless they are criminals.

Anonymous said...

i think refugees should be allowed in our country

Anonymous said...

I think that australia should be an open country for anyone to come to Mr howard is just thinking of himself and his community but did he ask us if we want more people coming from diff countries no he didnt so I say Australia should be an open country except for terrists.