Saturday, September 09, 2006

Farewell Steve Irwin & Greer's comments



The tragic death of Steve "The Crocodile Hunter" Irwin, one of Australia's most well-known and well-loved figures, has shocked the world. The 44-year-old nature conservationist was filming on the Great Barrier Reef when he suffered a heart attack after a stingray's barb pierced his chest.

Irwin was used to working with all kinds of deadly creatures, most famously crocodiles, and relied on his instincts and personal experience to calculate risks. He leaves behind his American-born wife Terri and two children: Bindi Sue Irwin, aged eight, and Robert (Bob) Clarence Irwin, three.

Outspoken ex-Australian academic Germaine Greer has come under fire for her comments about Steve Irwin in the wake of his death.

She claims he was an embarrassment to millions of Australians, and said that given the way he treated dangerous animals "it's no surprise he came to grief." And those who had mourned him with their tributes at the Irwin family's Australia Zoo in what the British had labeled "a Princess Diana moment" were idiots, she said.

Greer, who now lives in Britain wrote in The Guardian newspaper after Irwin's death that the animal world had taken revenge on "self-deluded animal tormenter Steve Irwin".

And on the 6th of September, she continued her attack on Irwin. She told Channel 9's A Current Affair she did not understand Australians' feelings of loss for Irwin.

She said he had exploited animals by telling the world how dangerous they were and then treating them disrespectfully. "I find the whole Steve Irwin phenomenon (embarrassing) -- and I'm not the only person who did," Greer said.

But when pushed, she was unable to name anyone who had publicly agreed with her. She rejected claims her sentiments were "un-Australian". "I don't care what I'm being called," Greer said. "I just hope I'm out of touch with what idiots are thinking."

Asked if Australians were idiots, she said: "I don't believe Australians are as dim or as easily led as you may perceive. As far as I can see, quite a few Australians have been embarrassed by Steve Irwin -- lots -- millions possibly. "Why are the English calling it 'Australia's Princess Diana moment'. Aren't you embarrassed about that, at least?"




What are your thoughts on Greer's comments?


22 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is not fair!! maybe a fter a while she could tell close friends those opinions but they are not needed!!! why should she be able to say that about an australian icon that did so much for our wildlife??? it is people like that that make the world a bad place... just because someone doesnt like steve irwin doesnt mean everyone hates him!!! yes i agree sometimes he came across as the stereotyped australian with his accent but we all have different ways to talk !!!!

Anonymous said...

my goshness, steve irwin was an aussie legend. she's the idiot... R.I.P. STEVE IRWIN

Anonymous said...

I agree just because Greer doesn't like Steve Irwin doesn't mean the rest of the world hate him. If she hated him why did she come up at this time to tell the world her feelings, at such a distressing and sad time; her family are trying to cope with Steve's death she came along and decided to say what she thought.

Ok i'm not saying she can't all i'm saying is if she wanted to tell her opinion why did she do it at such a bad time. Australia does'nt deserve this kind of rubbish let alone the Irwin family.

Next time i suggest that if someone wants to say what they want to they shouldn't say it at such a bad time and make people feel more down.

Anonymous said...

continued....

R.I.P

STEVE IRWIN

1962-2006

'WE WILL NEVER FORGET YOU.
YOU LEFT US MOURNING,
FOR SOMETHING TO REMEMBER'

Anonymous said...

Greer pretty much managed to sum up my thoughts on Steve Irwin's death. I feel that the entire situation was overdone. A private funeral with his family and friends would have been alright. But to have his entire funeral screened on television and having tributes to him left, right and centre, was pushing it too much. And can anyone really claim that they didn't predict that he would be killed by a dangerous animal? It's his own fault for his death. All those people who are claiming that he did so much and left us with so much, could you please inform me what that is?
I really feel that he really displayed a negative attitude, performing stupid activities like picking up snakes and hanging his child over a crocodile, and then getting paid for it. Seriously, he didn't do nearly as much as he is said to have done in life, and yet, he receives so much more publicity for his death than someone like Jon Nodtveidt, who died a few weeks back, and who was incredibly intelligent and actually did something great and worthwhile with his life. So, pretty much, I just think that he isn't as great as he's made out to be.

Anonymous said...

I agree with what she said, but there's a time and a place, and she certainly picked the wrong time and place. But I suppose if it sells her books....

Anonymous said...

i think that the memorials were needed. we as australians need to be reminded once in a while the affect we can have on the world. also, steve irwin did not "predict" his own death. it was accidental, he accidently stood on a sting ray. there is hardly any deaths by them (i think) per year, he just stood in the wrong place..

Anonymous said...

Steve Irwin didn’t just stand in the wrong place! He was snorkeling at the time and began to swim right above the stingray, exactly where stingrays instinctively raise their spine when they feel threatened (source:wikipedia). The fact that the crocodile hunter didn’t stop to think of this vital piece of information doesn’t make his death an accident. The fact that there have been barely any recorded deaths from stingrays (somewhere between 17 and 30 according to this page) in the WORLD just makes Steve Irwin's death ironic.

Anonymous said...

how are u meant to see a stringray that is covered in sand?? he probably didnt even know it was there until it pierced his heart and he died!!! anyway, that is beside the point. im not debating about that; i am more concerned about the issue of what Greer said. she had no right to say what she said. especially at the time that she said it. and c ferguson u admitted today at school i would roll u if we were in real life debating this haha which i did ;pp

Anonymous said...

It’s true that Germaine Greer can be bitter and insensitive. However, I can see why she believes that Australians would be embarrassed by Steve Irwin’s antics – personally I am insulted that we are represented by someone who was famous for shouting idiotic phrases and leaping onto the backs of crocodiles. For a few more of Greer’s comments which weren’t accentuated by the media (where she happens to make several good points) see her article.

Which is more likely for the wonderful Steve Irwin?
1. He was casually swimming along when a big, nasty stingray decided to stick its barb right through poor innocent Steve’s chest for no particular reason.
2. Steve tried to film the stingray and came in extremely close, at which point he scared the hell out of the creature and it reacted instinctively.

I think Irwin would have been a great person to know personally, but his image (that is, Steve Irwin as a marketing product) is one which irritated me.

As for a “real-life” debate (what do you think this is?) – bring it on.

Anonymous said...

Steve Erwin was a great man. He was very passionate about his animals and showed it throughout his life. They way he died was the way he would have most likely wanted to die around the creatures he loves. The way he died is very rare and not normal. I can remember when I lived in Perth and jumped of the jetty in Rotnest Island on top of stingrays. I think when you think of crocodiles and nature you would most likely think of Steve Erwin in one way. R.I.P Steve

Anonymous said...

I agree with most people’s thoughts Steve Irwin was a tremendous man he inspired many people and even inspired me. Greer was a mean person to say those things i think just because she has a problem doesnt mean she should make everyone feel bad. If Greer is reading i would have to say she should feel absoulutly disgusted with herself. Many people will miss him he was and Australian Icon born loved and cherished no one will ever forget our best friend Steve. Also we will never forget his headline saying 'Crickey'.

Anonymous said...

Steve Irwin was a great Australian Icon and many people will miss him. I disagree with Greer very strongly. Steve Irwin was a great man, who worked with nature and did not harm animals he was simply filming a documentary for his 8 year old daughter Bindi Irwin, for her show "Bindi the jungle girl". He just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Greer is just an embarrassment to herself not Steve Irwin. I believe that all tributes were very necessary and all were very heartwarming. It just goes to show that you have to make the most of the time with those you love, because at just 44 years of age Steve Irwin lost his life doing the thing he loved best. If you love hanging with your family is what you love then make the most of it.

Anonymous said...

I read what Greer’s thinks about Steve Irwin and I think it is very offending and that she shouldn’t say that he is a embarrassment to Australia. I also think everyone is upset about his death. Steve Irwin was great with wild life.

Anonymous said...

I agree with most of peoples comments that steve Irwin was a great australian icon. What Greer said is her opinion and fair enough but she didn't have to bring everyone down by saying that steve was an embarrassment to Australia especially at this time.No one will ever forget a great australian Icon likes Steve Irwin no matter what anyone says. She had no right to bring everyone down by saying what she said when she said it.

Anonymous said...

I think that Greer's comments on Steve Irwin were a bit harsh but at least he died doing what he loved.

Steve Irwin was not only a great animal lover he was also a wonderful father for Bindi and Bob. He also inspired many children and adults to carry on with their dreams and never to give up. I think that Greer is a selfish woman who is jealous of Steve Irwin.

Anonymous said...

I think that everyone is upset about Steve Irwin but it is sort of good that he died as well not trying to be mean but I think it showed people how important nature and animals are to people now and I think that Steve’s family has had such good support and they will carry on with the crocodile hunter!

Anonymous said...

I think that what Germaine Greer said about Steve Irwin is very offending and doesn’t no anything about what Australians feel. He did so many great things for Australia and many other countries, and he deserves to be respected. He was especially was great to kids. He was a great wildlife warrior.

Anonymous said...

I read about Greers comments on Steve Irwin and his death and I found them very offending and not true. Steve Irwin did not harm wildlife and mourning Steve Irwin was perfectly fine. Steve Irwin was a great role model for Australia and great with wildlife.

Anonymous said...

i miss steve erwin so much.
he was my favourite croc hunter

I.Boram said...

Bye Byes

Boo HOO

a bit late now though

S Kelly said...

i h8 Greer...:(

Steve was my idol, i always wanted to be like him!!
i have always loved and been interested in creppy crawleys and reptiles and have always been my dream to conserve Australias and the worlds faboulous and unique animals