Is the Australian values quiz a fair test for citizenship?
Sample questions from the multiple choice citizenship quiz for immigrants to Australia have been revealed for the first time. According to the Herald Sun, would-be Australians will be expected to know the name of our national flower, the year when European settlers first arrived, and what Anzac Day commemorates.
Those are just three of the 200 possible questions which will be randomly served out in 20-question exams for citizenship hopefuls.
Immigrants won't need to memorise long lists of facts and figures, but they will need to know the basics about Australian culture, said Immigration Minister Kevin Andrews.
Do you think this is a fair system for immigrants in Australia?


5 comments:
It is a bit unfair that immigrants need to know more about Australia than I know. I don't know the national flower and the exact date that Europeans came to Australia, but know many native animals and flowers and I know that the Europeans came in the 1700's. I know enough about Australia to belong, and I think that the tests need to be like that too.
I believe that this is unnecessary. It is a complete waste of time. When i became a citizen i didn't even understand what hello meant but look now i can talk fluently.
Most immigrants don't even know how to speak English so how are they supposed to answer a 200 question-quiz on things half of the Australians born here don't even know?
I think we should try and let other people who were born in Australia take the quiz and see if they know all this. Then we should decide if people from OTHER countries would know these questions.
Basically to me it's plainly and simply UNFAIR.
I think that the new system for becoming an Australian citezen is unfair. How are most people to know our national flower? I don't think you need to ask that kind of thing to become Australian!
I think the quiz is neccessary, as immigrants are coming to Australia and taking over!!
Im not sure.
Post a Comment